Two healthcare workers killed in Dallas hospital shooting have been identified

The two healthcare workers killed in the fatal shooting at Methodist Dallas Medical Center on Saturday have been identified.

Methodist confirmed the roles of the two employees who were shot Monday.

Jacqueline Pokuaa, 45, was a social worker. She was shot when she entered the new mother’s room to perform routine services.

Katie flowers, who went by Annette, was a nurse. She heard the shot fired, looked into the room and was shot in the hallway.

Blomster was a mother and grandmother. Her daughter said her family is not yet ready to talk.

We are working to find family members for Pokuaa.

Dallas Police Chief Eddie Garcia praised the actions of the Methodist police sergeant who shot Nestor Hernandez in the leg before leaving the room. He was nearby investigating a report of stolen property when he heard the gunshot.

“On Saturday we lost two health workers who were going about their day caring for others,” the chief said. “There is no doubt that his actions that day saved lives by preventing the assailant from leaving the room. There was no further loss of life. He remained engaged and in constant communication during the barricade situation. He eventually surrendered.”

A Methodist Health System police officer shot the suspect, 30-year-old Nestor Hernandez. He was hospitalized after being shot and is charged with murder.

Hernandez is on parole for an aggravated robbery he committed in 2015 and had an active ankle monitor.

District Attorney John Cruezot released a statement Monday afternoon saying, “I remain sickened, stunned and devastated by the senseless shooting at Methodist Hospital. Given the sacrifices our healthcare workers make on a daily basis, they should be free from threats of violence, especially in an area typically filled with the celebration of new life.”

Methodist has not yet disclosed how long each of the employees worked there.

The head of the hospital’s police department said that violence against health workers is on the rise and is of great concern. He said the hospital was not alerted that a violent felon monitored by the state with an ankle monitor was visiting the hospital.


Leave a Comment