5 killed, including on-duty officer, in Raleigh shooting, police say – WSOC TV

RALEIGH, NC — Five people were killed, including an off-duty officer, in a mass shooting in an east Raleigh neighborhood Thursday night, authorities confirmed. Two others were injured, they said.

At a news conference Friday morning, authorities identified the five victims. The suspected gunman, who is 15 years old, was arrested just after 9:30 p.m. Thursday, Raleigh police told WTVD.

One of the injured was a K-9 officer who was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, Raleigh Mayor Mary-Ann Baldwin said. The other was a 59-year-old woman. The officer was later released.

“This is a sad and tragic day for the city of Raleigh,” the mayor said at one of two news conferences the city held Thursday night.

Officers were first called to the shooting call around 5 p.m. Thursday near the Neuse River Greenway in the Hedingham neighborhood, near Osprey Cove Drive and Bay Harbor Drive.

Baldwin said the police department told her about 20.00 that the suspect had been “contained” in a residence in the area. Raleigh police tweeted around 9:40 p.m. that the suspect was in custody.

“We must do more. We must stop this mindless violence in America. We must address gun violence,” Baldwin said. “We have a lot to do, and tonight we have a lot to mourn.”

Several law enforcement agencies and first responders were still on the scene late into the night.

Friday updates

20:30

The Wake County District Attorney said she will try to try the 15-year-old mass shooting suspect as an adult, WTVD reported.

“Based on the mass death and violence here, we intend to seek charges against him as an adult and proceed to Superior Court with this case,” District Attorney Lorrin Freeman told WTVD.

The maximum sentence would be life without parole if the teenager is tried as an adult, according to Freeman.

“This is the first time we’ve had this kind of mass shooting in the 25 years I’ve worked in the criminal justice system, so there’s no question for us and the community to know that today so many people simultaneously woke up without loved ones. them because of senseless violence,” she said. “This is a different kind of case, no doubt about it.”

Freeman said since the suspect has been hospitalized, he has not served time.

17:30

Channel 9’s Dave Faherty went to the suspect’s home while police searched it Friday night. Investigators told ABC News they can’t find any leads online of the suspect and said he had no social media footprint.

In 911 calls, you can hear the chaos and terror families experienced during the vandalism.

“We heard the shots and we heard them screaming and then we came down because we heard it was a gun,” one of the callers told a dispatcher.

Countless families were forced to lock their doors as the shooting unfolded.

13:21

Sources told WRAL News the alleged gunman is 15-year-old Austin Thompson.

WRAL also reports that one of the victims was James Roger Thompson, his 16-year-old brother. Knightdale High School confirmed that James Thompson was a junior.

“This is an incredibly difficult time for our school community as well as the broader Raleigh community,” the school’s statement read. “We have learned that junior James Thompson was killed in yesterday’s tragic shooting on the Neuse River Greenway. This is an unexpected loss and we are saddened. Our condolences, thoughts and prayers go out to James’ family, the other victims, their families and anyone affected by yesterday’s events.”

The school said it would offer on-site counseling on campus Friday and next week.

“These are difficult moments that we will work through together as a school family,” the school said.

13:11

President Joe Biden shared a statement about the shooting, thanking law enforcement for their response and saying the victims’ families were in his thoughts.

“Jill and I are grieving with the families in Raleigh, North Carolina whose loved ones were killed and injured in yet another mass shooting in America,” the statement read. “We think of another community shaken and devastated as they mourn the loss of friends and neighbors, including an out-of-work police officer.”

Read Biden’s full statement here.

12.00

In east Raleigh, Channel 9’s Dave Faherty spoke with neighbors who said they hid inside when they heard gunshots.

“At that point, I just took my grandson and we went in, locked the house up and kind of went in to the middle of the house,” said Shelly Birdsell.

Some fought back tears as they described the moments after that shooting. Neighbor Saunya Jones described the moment she learned about what had happened.

“The guy that lives down there, he was standing in the middle of the yard and said there was a shooter,” Jones said. “And then there was somebody on the ground, there was a body on the ground, and they were like performing CPR. And there was a lady running down there.”

11 in the morning

9 in the morning

At a news conference Friday morning, authorities identified the five victims as the following people:

  • Nicole Connors, 52
  • Susan Karnatz, 49
  • Mary Marshall, 35
  • A 16-year-old, whose name was not released
  • Freelancer in Raleigh Police Officer Gabriel Torres, 29

“There are several families in our community who woke up this morning without their loved ones. We grieve for them,” Baldwin said as the press conference began. “Our prayers are also with those who are hurt. No one can imagine what they everyone is going through, but please know that we as a community stand with you today.

“We are also grateful to the dedicated public safety and law enforcement officers who acted so courageously. But we have redoubled our resolve now to end the senseless gun violence that has taken its toll on our country and now our city.

“I know it brings us sadness and anger. We have to do something.”

Officials said two community centers were evacuated and a school was placed on lockdown during the shooting. The crime scene stretched over two miles.

“No neighborhood, no parent, no child, no grandparent — no one should feel this fear in their community,” Cooper added.

5 in the morning

Officers said the alleged perpetrator was 15 years old. He had life-threatening injuries when he was taken into custody Thursday, according to a memo from the Department of Homeland Security. It is not known whether these injuries were self-inflicted.

On Friday morning, according to ABC11, officers were seen searching a home near where the shooting took place.

Thursday updates

22:50

Governor Roy Cooper took to the media stage and addressed the public at a late night news conference.

“Terror has reached our doorstep,” Cooper said. “The nightmare of any community has come to Raleigh.”

Chief Stella Patterson was away at a professional conference and was returning to Raleigh, Baldwin said.

Neighbors said the shooter was young, dressed in camouflage and had a long rifle. Authorities said he opened fire along a hiking trail.

22:20

21:40

21.00

Five people, including a police officer, were killed in a shooting in a residential area and several people had been shot, Mayor Mary-Ann Baldwin said at a news conference.

20:27

19:34

RPD: This is still an active investigation. Parts of the Hedingham neighborhood will remain closed. Residents should follow the directions of law enforcement officials on the scene.

19:30

The North Carolina Department of Public Safety has made several state resources available in response to the active shooter incident in Raleigh this afternoon. State Highway Patrol aviation and local patrol members, State Capitol Police officers and Alcohol Law Enforcement agents have all responded and are assisting the Raleigh Police Department at this time.

“DPS is providing all necessary resources as requested in this investigation and is working with local law enforcement to stop this shooter,” NCDPS Secretary Eddie M. Buffaloe, Jr. said.

18:54

18:50

Raleigh Police: Residents in the area of ​​McConnell Oliver Drive, Tarheel Club Drive and Old Milburnie Road are advised to stay indoors. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and seek alternative routes.

18:40

Residents in the Hedingham neighborhood are being told to stay in their homes and call 911 if they see anything suspicious.

17:50

The Raleigh Police Department is currently on the scene of an active shooting in the area of ​​the Neuse River Greenway near Osprey Cove Drive and Bay Harbor Drive. Residents in the area are advised to stay in their homes.

No further information has been released.

ABC 11 contributed to this report.

VIDEO: Authorities respond to multiple schools across SC after false reports of active shooters

Leave a Comment